Friday, December 22, 2006

Wound Up Tight


I didn’t understand what “wound up” really meant until we started parenting these kids. It’s not really a hyper thing, necessarily, because it plays itself out differently depending on the person. What it is is a higher level of anxiety -- kind of like a purring in the background of everyone, a buzz so to speak. They are excited and anxious and their memories are triggered to Christmases long long ago that were not so good.

Trying to get things done amidst this purring of tension is nearly impossible. Everyone is competing for negative attention and it doesn’t matter if we give them all we have, both of us, it still doesn’t seem to be enough. They are bored and want Christmas to be here. Fortunately most of them have a full day of school today. I don’t know what we will do this evening to combat the stress, but we need to have a plan.

I discovered during my wrapping party last night that I had left one gift sitting at the store before paying for it so even though I THOUGHT I was done Christmas shopping, i have to go BACK to the mall AGAIN. Yes, that thrills me.

Our two youngest have psychiatrist appointments today as well.

On a happy note, I was able to match one of my families with a “miracle” match of a one year old yesterday and tell them they were selected. it was great fun to be able to tell them that right before Christmas. I was shocked beyond belief that they had been chosen because stuff like this hardly ever happens.

No comments: