Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's Not Even 8:00 and My Day is NOT good


If I tell the whole story it might help me but it probably wouldn’t help you nor my credibility as a good parent, but I did it again. I opened my mouth.

When I see such irony, such irrational thinking, it’s like I am compelled to straighten it out. it just comes pouring forth from my mouth before I can catch myself.

This morning Mike had all of his laundry clean (I know this, because he did it himself, throwing all of my clean laundry aside to use the machines, not folding it, not sorting it, nothing...and we’ve been over this oh, I don’t know, 150 times with him) sorry I digress.

Anyway, one of his shirts accidentally got stuck with our stuff and was up in our bedroom. My keys were already in the van warming it up and I figured that with all I had going on this morning I could get him the shirt later today. But no, he HAD to have the shirt. Refused to go to school without it. So I got it for him.

But then I had to go do it. I had to try once again to make a connection, to point out the irony -- he has stolen three of his brothers’ bikes that I’ve been trying to get him to find and bring back AND he has the zip drive from school with all of Tony’s work on it so Tony may lose all of his credit for the semester. (Tony let Mike borrow it, but then Mike “left it in a friend’s” car.)

So, I simply made the connection between the irony of him demanding that I go now and get his shirt when I had been asking for three bicycles and a zip drive for weeks.

But did he say, “Oh yeah, Mom, you’re right. I’m sorry!”

HA! How stupid am I? Of course he didn’t say that. Instead he went into a cussing tirade about how fat I am (don’t you think I KNOW that? You kids tell me 43 times a day!) and inferred that I had stolen many things from him in his lifetime (the good old FASD conclusion to us trying to modify his behavior with consequences).

Even though I’m tired of his inferences and his behavior, this time I screwed up. Once again I had to open my mouth.

Anybody got some duck tape?


No comments: