Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

Things hardly ever go as planned. On Sunday night John and I had a long discussion about his priorities and what he needs to do and he set up a schedule to earn some money for us to pay for a probation ordered class. I spent the day (in the back of my mind) planning things that I would have him do so that we would have plenty of work for him. Before school was even out he was texting that he was going to a friends. And then that he was staying for dinner. And then that he was spending the night there. The hardest thing to do is to pull back and stay out of it, knowing that I'm not the one who is going to have to return to jail if I don't get my butt in gear and do what I'm supposed to do. But my warnings, lectures, logic and explanations have not made a difference in 10 years, I don't know why they would now. So that plan was completely derailed.

Then last night I went to bed thinking about this morning's late start scheduled once a month. I thought maybe if I could get myself out of bed that I would come down to my quiet office and blog and plan my day and maybe even get some work done for a couple hours before everyone got up. I managed to make myself do so and came down by 7 to find Sadie already awake and getting dressed. When I told her it was late start she said she already knew. But she is playing music I don't like in the room next to my office and thus I have my headphones in to drown her out. But not quite like I planned my morning. She's very unhappy as her grades are terrible and thus she had a one night break from her cell phone which is in my pocket. That interchange didn't go well. Somehow she has a point to make and I"m waiting to see what that point is, exactly. I'm sure I"ll find out soon enough as she wants that phone back.

I don't think I'll plan today. I think I'll just take it one minute at a time. Why spend time making sure plans get laid when they are only going to get changed anyway?

No comments: