Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Finally Ready


I think I’m finally ready to blog about my experience yesterday in watching Rent. I had seen the trailer for it back in June and blogged about it. I loved the trailer and the song from the trailer so much I have been wanting to see the movie for the past six months.

However, I didn’t really know what it was about and during different points in the movie i was wondering why I was watching it. So much of it was so much different than my life. However, to say that it wasn’t powerful would be a lie.

My definition of a good movie is when it sticks with you, for whatever reason. Some movies are just there and others touch your soul. Rent touches the soul on many levels. First of all, the music is incredible. The voices of the actors are awesome -- most of them were the original cast from the Broadway musical. Secondly, the lyrics to the songs are powerful. For example:
There's only us, There's only this, Forget regret, Or life is yours to miss No other road, No other way, No day but today.

Thirdly, it demonstrated some significant truths like:

1) It is possible to suck the marrow out of life even if life isn’t of highest quality;
2) Nothing replaces true friendship and community;
3) Life is short -- seize the day;
4) Don’t sell out.

Back in the 80s, when this play took place, we all were very concerned about not selling out. Being true to self was so significant. You hardly hear about it any more.

So, anyway, this is somewhat disjointed, but the movie is going to stick with me for a long time.

No comments: