Thursday, May 11, 2006

Announcing SNACC Time!

Kari and I got together yesterday and brainstormed, and this is the conclusion.

SNACC (Special Needs and Christian Caregiving) is going to be a support group/prayer group/Bible study for people who allign themselves with the Christian faith. We’re going to start by having summer picnics and invite birth, adoptive and foster parents of special needs kids (and their kids) to attend. We’d even include people who provide services to kids with special needs.

Then in the fall we are going to begin to meet either weekly or twice a month to read through the Sermon on the Mount (probably quite slowly) and process together how it applies to our lives. I’ll lead the discussion and we will also pray for one another as well as share our lives together.In a year or so I hope to do some other things, but I have learned through lafter not to start too big because I tend to suck at follow through. (Can one use the word suck in the same blog entry they announce a new Christian group? Hmmmm.)

Anyway, Kari and I are excited about this. In the past I have run support groups, but not been able to, because I was being paid by the state, talk about my faith. Leaving out that part of me seemed so weird. I think it will be awesome to process with others how God and what Scripture says fits into what we are doing and I look forward to it.

As soon as we have details about the first picnic (most likely to be held in mid-June) I’ll post them on the blog.

No comments: