Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Would You Do It Again?


We got a letter from MIke this week. When I had seen him in court last week I had told him that he could write if he wanted to. The letter was brief.

It basically said, “ would have written sooner, but didn’t know I could. Sorry for everything that happened but it doesn’t matter now because I am being sent away.”I found it odd that he was appearing to be the victim in the drama -- someone is sending him away. No responsibility accepted for violating probation or breaking the law. Typical.

Having things be what they are now, people ask me if we would do it again. When I saw this picture tonight while I was helping Salinda with a scrapbooking project, I realized that the answer is definitely yes.

I remember the day he brought this picture home. He knew it was hilarious and had already been told he qualified for a retake. But his sheepish grin, the laughs we had together... those are the kind of memories that make me say that no matter what happens in the future with this trouble, multi-diagnosed, not able to live in a family setting kid, I’d still do it again.

Each moment of joy makes it worth it. I encourage you as I encourage me -- find the joy, hang on to it, remember it, don’t let it go. It’s what gets you through.

No comments: