Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Oh How I Lie to Myself

Almost two months ago, we found out that I screwed up our taxes. I have been trying to make myself revise them since then. I attempted to do them on this day and then on this day I brought it up again. This morning I told Bart that if they weren’t done by bedtime that he shouldn’t allow me to get into bed.

I had been telling myself for a long time that I had to have it quiet in order to focus on them so I was going to go to the library tonight (it’s open until 8 on Mondays and Tuesdays) and get them done. But then Bart had a surprise meeting and the whole day today I was going here and there transporting people and getting thing done for the kids but not the taxes.

I told myself this morning that I HAD to get two projects done -- court paperwork for one of my families and the taxes. I got the court paperwork done by 5 and then tonight I was going to do the taxes.

Supper did not go well. John lost it, almost completely, over nothing. Threatening Bart and I, threatening to hurt Tony, etc. Then Tony had to start acting up, to the point that Salinda had to leave the table to keep herself from losing it (at least she has some self-monitoring skills). Then Jimmy had to start provoking both John and Tony, leading him to time in his room which resulted in a very long screaming fit.

But I had to get those taxes done. So, I literally sat in here with Tony yelling in the family room, Jimmy screaming at the top of his lungs and throwing everything in his room he could find at the wall, and John sitting directly in front of me providing me with a long litany of how we didn’t care about him, how it was the parents job to to do dishes, not the kids, how we didn’t provide him with the things he needed, etc. I finally said, “You can go ahead and say everything you want to say, but I am going to stop talking now.”

And in the middle of all that, I finished the taxes.

So, I am feeling quite empowered tonight. I kept my cool in the eye of the storm, so to speak, and understood IRS paperwork while I was doing it. Now THAT has to be something that came from a “higher power” because if you know me personally, it certainly isn’t my temperament!

BUt my copy machine is out of toner, so I’m off to get that, but I will go to bed with taxes done.

1 comment:

Kathyb1960 said...

Boy don't I wish it was the parents who do the dishes! I think they didn't get that memo!

We didn't get a dishwasher till I was a Sr in HS (1979) b/c whenever we would whine about not having a dishwasher, my dad always said he had 3 of them! (I have 2 sisters!)