Tuesday, May 15, 2007

And I Pay for My Mistake

I know there are some general rules about parenting kids with special needs. One is that you don't change the routine unless it is absolutely necessary.

This mornign I was tired. Tony did a great job of getting himself ready for school yesterday, so I decided to get him up and then go back to sleep instead of showering before waking anyone up. It felt so good to sleep that xtra half hour and I was so proud that Tony was able to do what he was supposed to do (or so I thought) and let me sleep. So, I get up to say goodbye to him as he leaves for the bus to see that he only walked down to the living room, laid down on the couch and fell back asleep.

So, the price of my changing the routine? A very quick, very cold shower and a trip to school in the van that I would have been able to avoid.

So, even though I travel around telling pre-adoptive and adoptive parents that you have to have structure, structure, structure, and don't ever waiver from routine, everyonceandawhile I decide the kids are old enough, mature enough, ready enough for me to change one little time.

And then I pay . . . and hopefully remember for a long time.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight. My husband just left today for a few nights and I know I am gonna have a hard time sleeping.