Monday, May 21, 2007

What About Bob Again

Last year I posted about the movie What about Bob?. I recently found it on sale for $6.00 so I bought it and the kids have been watching it non stop. Even though it is 16 years old, it is still so hilarious. Some of them practically have it memorized...

But again, the frightening thing to see is how the psychiatrist gets progressively more crazy. This is totally what happened to me over the first 5 years of adoptive parenting. In my attempts to change my children I nearly went insane. I think a breaking point for me was the time I chipped a tooth grating my teeth with anger at Mike for who knows what.... I was SO determined that i was going to teach these kids and get them to change.

Now, I look at it a bit differently and try (though I still have a 50-75% failure rate each day) to accept them the way they are and enjoy their idiocyncracies. And whether or not this approach will make a difference is yet to be seen, but it still makes me feel a lot better.

No comments: