Friday, May 25, 2007

And the Theme of the Day is...



When you have a kid with OCD who gets stuck on something and can't let it go, life can be very interesting. Last Saturday's theme was, as you can see in the picture, was rocks. Dominyk found several rocks at the park where Ricardo's soccer game was held and it was all he could think about. He was going to cell them, they were pure crystal, he would have a stand in the yard, or maybe sell them on ebay, they had to be worth a lot, he was going to become rich, and on and on and on.

Last night, I turned my back for a minute while we were having pizza at the park and he took a swig from what he thought was an energy drink that he found in the park trash. As you already have guessed, it contained alcohol.

One of the things that we stress often to our children is that you can't be an alcoholic if you never take the first drink. We have explained to them in detail that they may have an inherited disposition to alcoholism and addiction and they need to stay away from it.

Well, last night, as soon as Dominyk had that first drink he was convinced he was an alcoholic (guess I didn't think about that literal twist on my logic). He could not let it go. First he spit the stuff out multiple times, demanded two pops to get the taste out of his mouth (one of which he splilled, demanding a third, which I didn't give), and then spent the next hour obsessing on how he had to have more alcohol (guess he was forgetting the bad taste). He was now an alcoholic and so the theme of the night was how he NEEEEEEDED another drink (can we stop at that liquor store, how about that one, oh I really need some alcohol, a beer maybe, or wine, you don't understand, I NEEEEEED some, I need, I need, I need, give me, give me, give me (a line I wished he hadn't picked up from What About Bob.

And in addition to the noise, it was a little disconcerting to have our 11 year old's breath smelling like that of a common drunk.

Another day in the life....

1 comment:

debbie said...

That kid has one very different sense of humor!!!! His little stories always give me a laugh!