Friday, May 04, 2007

Very Scary




Last night Kari and I did a training together and she went through all her information on FASD. I've heard most of it before, but every time I hear it it makes more sense.

She showed this chart (hers looked better, but I just wanted to get the point across, so I didn't obsess too much about how it looked).

When I saw it it made me realize just how very scary it is that Mike is out there on his own functioning at the ages listed above in those areas.

Last night I had a horrible dream that he kicked Bart's legs out from underneath him and he was injured. In the dream he was angry about something really stupid. Typical of his years with us.

It occurred to me that while kids who are not adopted age out of foster care at 18, some kids who are adopted at 18 age themselves out.

I'm not sure which is worse.

1 comment:

Yondalla said...

Many foster care systems allow kids to stay past 18. Most of them leave anyway. It breaks my heart.

What is tough is not usually that they have to leave but they cannot come back.

We have had two permanent placement foster boys stay until they were 19+, but that is unusual.