Sunday, October 15, 2006

Back from FASD Camp

Since we would have had to come back first thing this morning anyway, I decided we’d come home. I needed a good night’s sleep in a warm, comfortable bed. There is a reason why I don’t camp.

I won’t ever be able to do “Alcohol Camp”, as Kari's son Ben calls it, justice by trying to describe it. But I will give it a shot. On Friday night we had a concert with Jason Gray. It was short, actually just right time wise. He sang a lot of fun and silly songs for the kids and they loved him -- things like “I gotta Boogie ... on my finger” and “you can’t put your finger in your nose”. BUt he sang this incredible song that was so appropriate for people with FASD. I made a movie out of it and I just might post it here if nobody thinks Jason would care.

Here are the lyrics:

Losers
All the lovely losers
Who never thought you’d hear your name
Oustide
Always on the outside
Empty at the wishing well
But time will tell

Blessed be
The ones who know that they are weak
They shall see
The Kingdom come to the broken ones
Blessed be

Thirsty
Like you’re drinking from a salt sea
But one day you’ll be satisfied
Hungry
For the taste of mercy
If only you could have your fill
One day you will

CHORUS

Not for the strong, the beautiful, the brave
Not for the ones who think they’ve got it made
It’s for the poor, the broken, and the meek
It’s for the ones who look a lot like you and me

Powerful to hear those words and then see pictures behind them of children that I have come to love and enjoy -- kids who the world may see as “losers”, who have organic brain damage that is no fault of their own. Kids who are charming, and funny, and affectionate and kind, but who “just don’t get it” most of the time, living in a world that “just doesn’t get them.”

The feeling at the concert was so freeing. All those kids doing what they do -- jumping and running and dancing, free to be who they were. And not a single adult in the room tying their behaviors to poor parenting. All of us seeing the uniqueness of each other’s children and being able to celebrate them.

There were other great parts of the weekend, like time for just moms to hang out while the dads showed the kids a movie, having all kinds of other people’s kids on my lap, fun interactions as a family (well, 8 of us anyway), hearing my kids talk about how much fun it was and how they can’t wait until next year, and being able to eat good food without Bart or I having to fix it.

Hopefully later I’ll have some time to post the video or some pictures.

Not to end this on a down note, but that is the reality of our lives. Mike was supposed to be home last night. It’s 45 minutes before 2nd service time, and he is not yet home. Salinda is not home either, but at least had permission to remain another night. I still have trouble sleeping when I don’t know where one of my kids is, but maybe I’ll get used to it. He’ll be an “adult” in less than 5 months.

No comments: