Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Their House Must Be Chaos

Probably lots of people think that. But it isn’t, really it isn’t. I mean we have our moments, but generally I think you’d find that our house is calmer than you would expect it to be for a family who adopted “10 kids with special needs.”

However, I heard from someone that they heard that someone heard someone at Dominyk’s school make this statement and it has been gnawing at my psyche since then. The reason it gnaws at my psyche is that they inferred that his special needs were a result of the chaos.

Now I am not going to take time to explain to you how incredibly frustrating it is for that inference to be made, because you know everything I’m going to say anyway. But the fact is, he can’t get a worksheet done in school without a full-time paraprofessional sitting next to him, and I’m assuming that their classroom is not chaotic, so maybe it isn’t the chaos anywhere causing the special needs. Maybe he just has severe ADHD, ADHD, ODD, the possibility of anti-social personality disorder, rightfully and directly inherited by a birthparent, and more than likely, FASD, though we’ll never get a diagnosis because she won’t admit to drinking while pregnant.

But I suppose, if they must link it all to our chaotic home, all I can do is try hard not to appear chaotic, which leads to this post.

I had planned to pick up Dominyk today. His PCA has the day off, and I was going to do the friendly check in with the teacher, help him pack his backpack, check to see if he has homework thing and appear so non-chaotic that they had to rethink their statement.

Until I locked my keys in my bedroom after a much needed rest time. Bart was doing a visit in the hospital and I couldn’t reach him. So, I had to quick call Rand to see if he could get Dominyk and call Dominyk’s school to let them know he should wait for Rand. But you guessed it... I did NOT tell them that I locked my keys in my own bedroom. I just said “something came up” that I couldn’t make it.

Maybe it would be safer to have said that I locked the keys in the bedroom considering whatever they might conclude “suddenly came up” at the house of chaos....

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Claudia you have enjoyed making me "crazy" angry this week. LOL I have had those comments as well. How dare someone assume my child's behavior is due to my household. Dang! And even if it was your feeling, why express it outloud!