Tuesday, October 24, 2006

He's Leaving on a Jet Plane

I just got back from taking Bart to the shuttle to go to Nashville for a conference this week. it’s always hard for me to see him go -- not because it is impossible around here without him, because we do OK, but because I miss him when he is gone. Just his being here always makes things seem better, even if he is across town at church or in his recliner in our bedroom.

Last night was another feeble attempt on the part of Salinda to keep me from parenting her. I won’t go into all of the details, but it ain’t happenin’. I watch her friends manipulate their parents all day long and their parents give in because of the pressure. While i sometimes will compromise, there are certain things I won’t compromise. I am not going to let her ride her bike through one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the area alone in the dark. Last night she tried, “I hate the way you’re acting right now ... telling me what to do.”

I tried hard not to laugh out loud while I calmly (OK, so not THAT calmly) that I didn’t much care for the way she was acting and that I was GOING to tell her what to do as long as she was living under our roof. Not negotiable. And I pointed out to her once again that her nasty attitude and her punishing me for punishing her was NOT going to work. I was determined to do everything I could to keep her safe and from making bad choices.

So I am facing a day alone at my desk and trying to cut back on working so much -- everyone (even my boss) is telling me to. But I like working. That’s what they don’t get.

No comments: