Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tough Love Stinks Sometimes

Even I, mean old mom, tough as nails parent, want to rescue my kids sometimes. Here's an example. Salinda took a $20.00 bill to the football game with her last weekend. She only had $6.00 on the allowance chart, but we didn't have correct change. When she came home that night, she forgot to give me the change back and put it on her dresser. By mid-afternoon the next day when she realized she had forgotten to give it to me, it was missing.

But I gave her a $20.00. She forgot to give me the change. She knows, as we all do, that she has siblings that will pocket money if they see it. And it isn't my responsibility to take the loss.

Fortunately, for her sake, she took it well and responded without a fit. I may even offer a deal to loan her some for the football game today just becuase she didn't have a fit. Sometimes I do like to reward people for taking what's coming to them without being defensive, angry or blaming someone else.

But she'll have to pay it back. Bummer for her. She should have remembered to give it back when she got home.

No comments: