Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Santa Clause Spangled Banner

Andrew is one of the neatest kids I've ever met. His special needs are multiple, but he has such a pure heart and he loves life so much.

Andrew loves Christmas, in fact, every day is Christmas for him. When I first heard his rendition of "Oh Christmas Tree" I was so disappointed that I didn't have a video camera along because he morphs it into a patriotic theme. This weekend, he sang it again for me, and sure enough, he was soon singing, "oh say does Santa Clause Spangled Banner yet wave..."

There were several of us listening to his video, but as parents with kids with special needs, we didn't realize how much background noise was there. I guess we tune it out.

I hope that when you hear Andrew's song, you will celebrate life with him and celebrate all children whose brains have been damaged by prenatal exposure to alcohol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the video of Andrew! That truly was beautiful.

And the background noise? If you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed. It sounds exactly like my house does every waking moment.

Miz Kizzle said...

He's a beautiful child who's going to face more challenges as he grows older and is no longer a "cute little boy." Our society isn't kind to adult men who constantly talk about Santa Claus. I wish it weren't so but it is.
I first learned about FAS twenty years ago when I was asked to write a freelance magazine article about it. I was shocked and horrified that there isn't more attention given to the danger of drinking any amount of alcohol while pregnant. I even had a doctor tell me that it's a good idea for pregnant women to have "a few beers." I'm sad and angry that that kind of thinking persists. I'm sad and angry that innocent babies suffered permanent brain damage because nobody told their mothers not to drink alcohol.