Thursday, October 12, 2006

Unsettling

Parenting teens is unsettling, that’s all there is to it. The ingratitude, defiance, bad attitude, and punishing us for punishing them routine results in me feeling pretty crabby. I am, of course, tired at this time of night, and wanting to get some rest, but there are a couple of kids whose attitude permeates the house. It’s toxic and it’s tiring.

Tomorrow we are going to an FASD retreat with some other families. I am to the point of telling the toxic kids that they don’t have to come because I know how they will respond to it. They will glare and sit in the corner and refuse to interact and insist on ruining the event for all of the rest of us.

I’m sure that after I have some sleep and get readjusted that they won’t drive me nearly as crazy, but tonight I’m feeling at my wits end.

But right now it’s Tony who is provoking them into their nastiness, so putting him in bed is step one to fixing this.

No comments: