Monday, February 05, 2007

Participating in Something with Which One Does Not Agree

Our oldest son wants to buy $185.00 coat. He can't find a single coat in the universe that costs less and he already has a warm coat that we bought him. He has money saved for a car. He wants to take the money out of the car fund to buy it. I think it is a bad idea.

He asked me to help him because the internet wouldn't let him buy it. I said no. I don't agree with your purchase. I'm not helping. I think it is a bad decision.

He said "I can do what i want with my money."

I said, "yeah, you can, but I don't have to help."

He'll find someone else to help but it's the principal of the thing.

I've done this with a lot of our kids about different things. No, I can't control your life, but I don't have to HELP you. If you want to buy music or games or movies that have foul crap in them and you're over 18 and not living here, have at it, but I'm not loaning you the money, giving you a ride to get it, fascilitating it in any way.

It's an integrity thing. Call me over-strict. Call me unloving. Call me stupid. It's a decision I fell good about.

He concluded our Instant Message session with "forget I asked."

I concluded with, "If you forget I said no."

:-)

No comments: