Thursday, February 08, 2007

Scary

When I read this article today I was scared. I am not going to say which of my children fit it and which don't, but there are at least two who fit almost everything on it and another that is only missing three or four of the characteristics.

In case you don't want to click over, here's the list;

Characteristics of a Psychopath

superficial charm
self-centered & self-important
need for stimulation & prone to boredom
deceptive behavior & lying
conning & manipulative
little remorse or guilt
shallow emotional response
callous with a lack of empathy
living off others or predatory attitude
poor self-control
promiscuous sexual behavior
early behavioral problems
lack of realistic long term goals
impulsive lifestyle
irresponsible behavior
blaming others for their actions
short term relationships
juvenile delinquency
breaking parole or probation
varied criminal activity

How close is that to the characteristics of Reactive Attachment Disorder?

And to what degree does each characteristic have to be before it states that the person is a psychopaths?

Here is another quote:

A psychopath is usually a subtle manipulator. They do this by playing to the emotions of others. They typically have high verbal intelligence, but they lack what is commonly referred to as "emotional intelligence". There is always a shallow quality to the emotional aspect of their stories. In particular they have difficulty describing how they felt, why they felt that way, or how others may feel and why. In many cases you almost have to explain it to them. Close friends and parents will often end up explaining to the psychopath how they feel and how others feel who have been hurt by him or her. They can do this over and over with no significant change in the person's choices and behavior. They don't understand or appreciate the impact that their behavior has on others.


I don't know that I have children who will be full blown psychopaths. I hope I don't. But sometimes there is enough there to make me wonder.

Does anyone know of any research that compares the two disorders (RAD and Psychopathology?) Maybe I'm just frightened after reading "The Unlit Path" and wondering to what lengths our kids will go.

3 comments:

AdoptiveMomma said...

Well, I've read that kids with RAD grow up to be adults with Borderline Personality Disorder. But yeah, that list looks pretty darn similar to the RAD list, and pretty darn close to my dd17.

Linda B said...

It looks closely like FASD too. Damaged brains.

Yondalla said...

My experience and not expert testimony:

The difference is found in the name: Reactive Attachment Disorder. RAD kids react in extreme ways to attachment and affection. They reject us.

Psychopaths, Borderline, and Narcisstic personalities are often capable of staying very calm and affectionate-seeming. They can exist without rage. When they realize you love them they don't react in a sort of panic -- they manipulate.

I think that many children are diagnosed as having RAD who as adults will be diagnosed with one of three I mentioned before. Some (perhaps all?) of those cannot be given as diagnoses to children. The pattern must continue into adulthood.

I wish I didn't have the experience to allow me to draw to form those opinions.