Thursday, March 22, 2007

13 Minutes and Counting

In 13 minutes we begin the "get ready for school" routine for everyone but Tony, who gets on the bus at 7 and Rand, who gets himself up at 6:45. In 13 minutes, I will do the rounds. I will attempt to cheerily, but not to cheerily, as cheery annoys some in the morning, awaken the slumbering children who will spend the next hour either showering or, if they did so last night, primping. They have breakfast at school, so it reallly only does take about 1/2 hour.

Our morning routine has changed considerably as the children have gotten older. When the kids were younger, it was mayhem, especially when they had to have on boots, snowpants, etc.

Now very little direction is needed and they are pretty focused, thus staying out of one anothers way. Most of the time it is a fairly calm experience, very unlike it used to be.

While it was a lot of work, sometimes I miss their need for me to button and zip and tie. I miss helping them bundle up and pack up their backpacks. I miss their childhood. Maybe, like Mike yesterday, I'm feeling like it all went by way too fast and I'm not ready to have a house full of teens and preteens who look for me only when they need the keys or my checkbook.

But now in 7 minutes, I'll awaken some groggy big bodies that will get themselves ready for school. Unlike when they are little, only a few will initiate affection or kind words. But I'll remind them that I love them as they walk out the door, I'll encourage them to make good choices, and I might sneak in a kiss or two if I can catch them off guard.

Ten years ago it was snowpants and noses that needed to be wiped. Today it's questions about homework assignments and sports gear. And ten years from now I'll wake up with nobody to wake up but myself. And then I'll KNOW it all went by too fast.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Your post made me cry this morning. I was feeling that way somewhat when I took my kids to school this morning. My oldest feels that he is too big for kisses :(