Friday, April 28, 2006

The Meeting

The meeting lasted almost two hours. John was there for about an hour of it. He was all over the place with his responses. First everything was my fault... then it was his mental illness. Then he needed more meds. Then he didn’t need to be taking any at all ever. Then he was sorry and loved us... then it was back to how we were his only problem.

Some of my “favorite” quotes of the day included,

Psychiatrist to me, “I hope you are going to write a book someday about why families shouldn’t be allowed to adopt more than 3 children.”

Psychiatrist to me, “No wonder he acts that way if you respond the way you are today.”

Psychiatrist to me, “See your husband. He’s responding the right way.”

Bart to me on the way home, “Living with you is like living with a wolf alpha male.”

And these were coming from men I like (Bart and Dr. D).

Social worker to me, “Not every parent can parent every child and not every child can be parented by every parent.”

The conclusion? John wants to come home and promises he will do better. We are not sure he can and we are not sure we can change or parent him differently. So we don’t know what will happen. The next meeting is the Monday after we get back.

Most are not thinking he can return home and if he can they agree it won't last long.

No comments: