Saturday, April 08, 2006

Unworthy

I am determined to blog my positive weekend experience before blogging what was happening here while I was gone or what happened immediately upon our return.

So, I believe in my last entry I asked the question, “What could possibly go wrong?” I wrote it, tongue in cheek, because I knew something would. Fortunately for us, though, we actually did as planned ... it’s just everybody else that didn’t quite get to.

Paula and her kids didn’t get to come on Thursday night after all. Paula was working on a report and didn’t get it done. So, she told us she’d be there around 10 in the morning.

Blogless Meg got sick and couldn’t come at all, making us very sad.

Nearly blogless Michele had originally said she was coming on Thursday night, but because of conferences, was planning to arrive around 10 the next morning.

So, here’s way more details than what you probably want to hear. Jimmy, the girls and I left at 11:40. We had drive through Arbys and arrived in Mankato at 2:00. We stopped by the house to unload everything and then headed for the furniture store to pick up fabric samples so we could shop for paint. We then went to Sherwin Williams where we ordered a LOT of paint and picked out supplies and then headed back to the house to meet with the VERY NICE electrician guy. After that we headed back to Sherwin Williams and picked up the paint. We then went to Walmart and got the rest of the groceries that we didn’t bring with and a few other things we needed.

I heated up some leftovers we had brought with us from this home and had a late supper. Then we did prep work on a couple rooms -- scraped, spackled, and taped. We went to bed around 10:00 p.m.

On Friday morning I met with one of my families for my job, and then took Jimmy and Salinda over to their new school. They had a tour by some giant 7th grades (they were both really tall -- we thought they were high schoolers) and I met with the guidance counselor. Then we headed back to the house expecting Michele and Paula’s families to arrive any time. We began working on the ceiling in the girls room. Kari stopped by with Anna, fruit and donuts and told us she’d be back around 1 after her PCA arrived. Around 11:30 or so, Michele and Paula both drove in at the exact same moment. Everyone unloaded and we began a blur of working, eating, playing (kids not parents) and visiting that lasted about 28 hours.

i can’t find what I need to post pictures right now, but we got the living room, girls room, family room, and our bedroom done. They all look great. The 10 kids (4 of Paula’s, 3 of Michele’s and my 3) had a wonderful time together. They all worked very hard.

In the midst of things we got to meet everyone in Kari’s family except Kjirsten and got to see her Mom as well (her parents currently live across the street). The pastor of the church where we are going even showed up for a few minutes.

I left feeling very unworthy to have such sacrificial and wonderful friends who would help me so much. I spent most of my 28 hours driving around, writing checks, serving food, and bringing the women Lattes while they cleaned, sewed, painted, vacuumed, built backrests and parented my children.

Crazy thing is, we’re planning it again for next weekend and most are willing to come back. I am amazed, humbled, and very very grateful.

Thanks guys, you’re the best!

No comments: