Sunday, April 29, 2007

Blessed with a Burden

I watched the Freedom Writers on DVD yesterday and today and found it powerful and inspiring. Plot, very quickly, is about a young teacher who sees potential in her class of gang members. She motivates them to learn to write . . . well, you need to see it.

A couple of things that stood out to me, though, are these;

1) In order to follow her passion, she had to sacrifice her marriage. I am SO grateful that I have a husband who allows me to be consumed with what I do, be very good at it, and not be threatened or feel neglected.

2) The teacher's father says one line in the movie that is just powerful. He says to her, "You have been blessed with a burden. And for that, I envy you."

I finished the movie grateful that people like Erin exist (it's a true story) and very glad I have been blessed with an all-consuming burden.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I should check out the movie. I am having a really hard time getting through the book.Did you ever watch the movie about Ron Clark? I think it has been on TV with Matthew Perry playing the Teacher.

debbie said...

Sheer coincidence! I saw that movie Friday night and it was a definite shot in the arm for me also!!!