Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Disney Movie

A worker who reads my blogs suggested I posted this. It was forwarded to me and I'm unsure of who wrote it.

We feel that it is important to warn you about a Disney movie called "Meet the Robinsons" that is now playing at many local cinemas. The advertising for this animated feature makes it sound like a great movie for any young child. Fortunately, one of our adoptive parents alerted us about the negative adoption messages in the story and the very unhappy experience she had with both of her children who were very greatly disturbed by the messages conveyed in this film. As a result, I went to see the film to decide if it warranted putting out an alert to our adoptive parent community. Indeed, I thought that the concerns raised were completely valid.

The movie is filled with extraordinarily inappropriate messages about adoption. The basic story is about an adorable baby whose birthmother leaves him on the doorstep of an orphanage. Portrayed as loving, sweet, extremely smart and overly appealing, he spends the next 12 years of his life wanting a family and being turned down by one family after another - in all, 114 couples refuse to adopt him. One scene shows a prospective dad losing interest in adoption because this very smart little boy is more interested in science than sports. The prospective parents leave the disappointed child in a huff when he accidentally splatters them with some liquid from his science project. This is supposed to be funny.

Since no one else wants him, the child invents a time machine in order to go back in time to find his birth mother. The "bad guy" in his time travel journey turns out to be his best buddy from childhood, once his orphanage roommate. Now an emotional wreck resulting from being left behind when the orphanage was closed and shut down, the once-cute orphan is now mean and devious. Another chuckle. Various monsters attack the child as he continues his birthmother search. You get the picture !

I found "Meet the Robinsons" to be both tasteless and totally insensitive regarding adoption issues. Please think very carefully before taking your child to see it, whether adopted or not. I will write the Disney Corporation to let them know about my concerns about their flippant way of dealing with issues that are extremely important and not funny for millions of adoptees and their families in this country and around the world.

Feel free to share this message with anyone who you feel might
benefit from knowing about this warning.

3 comments:

Amber said...

CluelessCarolinaGirl has a different point of view: http://cluelessincarolina.blogspot.com/2007/04/meet-robinsons.html

Jennifer said...

I have to say that I saw this movie with my children yesterday and I didnt feel it bashed adoption in anyway. Please note I have three children who were adopted myself. Yes there were prospective parents who rejected this child but isnt that unfornuately real life? Why sway from the truth. But then he is faced with unconditional love and sees who is his real family is. He discovers that he just needs to be himself. My kids and I talked about this movie after and to be honest with you they even picked up on the positive points with out me telling them.

Sheri said...

I agree whole-heartedly Jennifer. My 4 year old talked about it . . . it was like what happened to Dustin because "no-body wanted him etter, but we did and we love him" (granted he is pretty brilliant)