Monday, April 30, 2007

Please Don't Do That Again!

My newest "BFF" Sue (we pretend we're 12 sometimes) was talking to me at 9:30 last night and said, "Well, I wish you an uneventful rest of the night."

Apparently, she jinxed us.

Rand, at 9:40, asked me to come downstairs and smell the small room where we have our water heater, water softener, etc. He had smelled something at 3:30, but waited until it was time for bed to tell us about it. Since the door to the basement, is closed, we could smell nothing in the rest of the house. Sure enough, the smell of gas gave me an instant headache.

So, while I was attempting to settle the kids down, Bart called the gas company. They told him to not touch anything -- no switches, nothing electric, and get everyone out of the house. Bart stayed in the yard to meet the gas guy.

So at bedtime, we all had to leave. We of course, it started out horribly. Dominyk and Tony were just sure that Bart and the dog and all their belongings were going to get blown up. But after lots of reassurance, a snack, and an adventure (cartwheels and tag in front of the closed music store) we got the call that things were fine. The kids had been painting a room in the basement and apparently sometimes the fumes can mix with other things in the vents and it can smell like gas.

So, we came home and tried to settle the kids down. Dominy, finally not obsessing about the house blowing up any more, was traumitized by Tony pulling 13 ticks off the dog. Bart decided at 10:50 that the dog had to have a bath and a tick treatment.

So, at 11:30, two hours after I decided I was too tired to be up any longer, we went to sleep.

Another uneventful night at the Fletchers...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What would life be like without the drama. I feel for you. At least he remebered to tell you. Can you imagine him remembering at like midnight?

debbie said...

I know I shouldn't laugh. I shouldn't, I shouldn't, I shouldn't. (but I did!)