Saturday, April 21, 2007

No Social Skills

Last night was a whirlwind. If you don't want to read this paragraph feel free to jump ahead. At 3 I picked up Salinda and her friends from school (2 friends) and was home by 3:30 because I had to take one of the kids by his house to get a cell phone charger. I then returned home where I worked on cleaning up email until 5:10 when I had to leave to take Sadie to the mall, stopping at the bank on the way. I had invited Kari and her family and our friends and Sue and Tim to dinner (more on that later) so I was in a hurry to get back. I tidied up a little (don't want to overdo that you know) and then the families arrived. The guys went out to grill hotdogs and brauts (or however you spell it) but they weren't done in time for one of Salinda's friends to eat, so I had to take him home. On the way back I thought I would swing past the school to see if Jimmy's tennis match was over, which it wasn't. I arrived home, and literally sat down for 2 minutes and the phone rang and it was Jimmy. I went back to get him. The meat was done just as the propane ran out.. so we sat down and ate. 40 minutes later I had to take Jimmy and the girls to the lockin, picking up another girl on the way. An hour later I had to run and get Sadie at the mall.

Here's the great part. I have no social skills but I still have friends. Basically, to sum up last night, I had friends who were willing to buy the food for supper, bring it to my house, prepare it, and then clean up, while I ran here and there and walked around dazed in a fog of stress. Eventually, my stress was relieved and I was able to relax and have fun. Not sure how much fun they had though. See? No social skills.

Interesting things to ponder from last night:

Anna told us that the police come to her house every day and she needs to go to the basement and hide from them. . .

Kari jumped on the tramp -- Salinda has pictures on her camera. Adam is thrilled that finally it will be his mother who will be embarrassed by a blog.

Anna no longer needs "speech werapy." One would think that if you call it speech werapy, you might still need it.

And on a more serious note, Sadie saw Mike at the mall last night. Not only did she see him but she talked to him. He told her that he had been kicked out of the program and that he was staying with friends in Mankato. Told her not to tell us.

I apologized to her for not telling her -- we were hoping that the kids were not going to know for a while so they wouldn't have to lose sleep wondering if he was going to break into the house and still their stuff. I also told her I was proud of her for telling us even when he told her not to, and that we had known he was in town since the day he arrived -- that she was the 5th person to tell me he was here.

Today is another long one. Starting in 5 minutes, I have to medicate Dominyk and take Ricardo to soccer practice. 90 minutes later I will take JImmy to leave for his away tennis match and pick up Ricardo from practice (those two points being as far apart as humanly possible in a town of 50,000.

This afternoon we will go shopping for Dom's birthday and then I'm cooking. Fortunately he's choosing something I know how to make and is EASY....

Tonight we'll do his home birthday party.

At least I'm never bored.

No comments: