Monday, March 27, 2006

Simple Faith

Sometimes when I get really down and can’t see hope, I pray a specific prayer. Outloud, when Bart and I are praying together just before bed (as we have every night we’ve been together at bedtime since our wedding almost ten years ago), I say to God, “OK, God, we need a response here. We need some definite signs that You are still there, still in charge, and still involved in our lives in a personal way. Please give us a sign.”

I prayed that prayer on Saturday night. And yesterday there were three or four significant things that happened, the last of which was an email from our oldest son expressing gratitude for our role in his life. If you know anything about Kyle, this is not typical. I think it is probably the most honest heartfelt expression of gratitude we have ever received from him.

So that, on top of great worship services, encouraging words Bart received from people attending his workshop, a relatively pain free day for him, good behavior from the 6 kids with me, and a nice honorarium check, there were enough signs. People in our current church have been very supportive and kind to us, which makes going to church very uplifting.

Join me in asking God for a day tomorrow that can be fun, pain free for Bart, and productive. We’re closing on the house and having dinner with Kari and her husband Mike with no kids. We haven’t done anything like that in years.

No comments: