Saturday, March 25, 2006

Where are the Answers?

I am doing follow up on the kids that social workers have told me about that need homes to see if they are matched yet. I have only finished the follow up for kids under 10 without medical issues and I am getting so bummed. MANY of these kids are ones I have been recruiting for for over a year. ANd they aren’t old yet.

Part of the problem is that they are tough kids with many issues and diagnosis. But I just finished reading On Their Own and I can’t help but see the destiny of these kids -- some of them as young as seven or eight. I wonder if I keep doing matching for the next 10 years if some of these kids will be on my 15-17 charts. And the thought of that just makes me NUTSO.

Bart and I were speculating about the mysterious phone call last night from Dominyk’s birthgrandma. What if the guardian was wanting us to raise Dominyk’s younger sister? My immediate response is “I don’t want to!” She is Dominyk all over again WITHOUT any stability as she has been with their birthmom for the last 7 years since her birth. And if even people like us don’t want to do kids this hard, who will?

What is the answer for these kids? It certainly can’t be leaving them in the system to be raised in foster and group homes until they age out. The ONLY answer is families. But how can we possibly convince people to put aside their lives to save another?

Even families like ours who know how to parent these tough kids don’t want to take in one more tough kid.

And a new family with one of these really tough kids may not make it.

Answers anyone?

No comments: