Friday, June 16, 2006

Loving What You Do

I am so privileged to have jobs that I love. I truly love helping kids get into families. When I wake up in the night, I make potential matches in my head. When I am off doing other things, I think about the families I’m serving. There are times, as you’ve read in this blog, where I get very frustrated by the system and the delays it often causes and the sometimes other stupidity of the collective “system” (not the individuals in it).

But I do love my job. I love the reward of knowing that over 150 kids now (9 before I officially began my positions, not including my own, 11 my first year, 36 my second, 96 my third, and 30 so far this year with at least nine more coming home this month) are in permanent homes and that they won’t age out of the foster care system without a family. I am a lover of statistics, but only because they represent people.

So as I “hit the computer” again this morning, I do it with anticipation -- of seeing lives changed and generational cycles of substandard living being switched over to a new track where people like Yolie can meet a guy like chuck and lovingly adore a child like CJ after having such a tough beginning.

Few jobs provide satisfaction like that.

No comments: