Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Moving In

Moving In is going only a fraction better than moving out, only because I told people they didn't have to work if they didn't want to. Kyle is taking 3 people to the YMCA who voted not to work. Then there are three who woudn't go to the Y, but aren't working either. At least a couple of them are not being unreasonable.

Salinda and Sadie have been given top priority in regards to their room being done. You'll remember that we did it first when we came several weeks ago. We spent more money, more energy, and more time on their room because they take care of their stuff. Two weeks ago we went and bought them all new furniture. They are the only ones in the family who are getting new bedroom furniture. Everyone else will make do with what we already have.

The reason I made this decision is because historically they have been the most helpful, most loving, most attentive of the kids. They usually can be counted on to chip in when necessary.

It's a good thing their reward was based on history, because even though I have told them I am in no hurry to go pick up their new furniture if they were not in a hurry to help around here they are still refusing to accept direction, sitting doing nothing, or watching TV. When they are directed, they are undirectable. When we ask for help we get no help but lots of attitude.

The "experts" might say that we need to relax a little during this time of transition and give them a break, but it's very hard to have no cooperation. The way it is working is that the kids that ask for the most are willing to help the least. The ones who are the hard workers are the ones who will demand very little in return.

It's going to be a very long summer either way -- either I "relax a little" and put up with the attitudes, the mouthiness, the rudeness... or I try to toughen back up and make things more normal and fight a long uphill battle.

I'm sure you are asking why/how I have time to blog. Well, I'm in the dining room right by the door that the movers are coming through. I am the point person to direct them with each piece of furniture and each box to which room they go. They can' function if I can't direct. And I could parent even if I was bed-ridden, so I sit and parent.

And answer 10,000 questions a minute from the kids. And listen to their comments. And watch them bicker and fight.

It's a tough job, but somebody's gota do it. (and I'm not being sarcastic about the tough part either. It might sound like the job for a slacker, but it's emotionally quite taxing.

No comments: