Thursday, June 15, 2006

Happy Anniversary, Baby, Got You on my Mind


Bart’s trip took him away from me on his birthday and on our 10th wedding anniversary. But absence makes the heart go fonder and we knew this going into the trip. Still kind of sad to have him gone today.

Last year I wrote quite the tribute. This year I may not be able to wax as poetic, but it’s an incredible thought that we’ve been married for ten whole years.

Ten years ago today, on a Saturday morning, I walked down the aisle thinking about all the times I had wondered what it would feel like to walk down the aisle. Sometimes I still can’t believe I’m actually married. I was single until I was 32 and really enjoyed being single. Taking the plunge to be accountable to someone else in everything and even submissive to (which y’all (as Cindy would say) are going to think is a joke, but it really is true) was a scary thought. I wondered if I even had what it took to be married for a “normal” life.

And now we have this ever so not normal life. Ten kids with special needs. County involvement. Stress upon stress. But somehow we’ve been able to make it.

It’s interesting that the song “Broken Road” has resurfaced this year, because I found the old version by the “NItty Gritty Dirt Band” and had one of our good friends sing it at the wedding. Here are the lyrics.

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I didn’t think they were complete enough, so I wrote a third verse that she sang as well.

Now I give you all I have
I give you all of me
My whole life's no sacrifice
I give it willingly.
Because no one loves me the way you do
You’re making all my dreams come true
And God will bless the road ahead
I know he’ll see us through.

It’s true... he has. Our road has truly been an unusual one, but God has seen us through ten years.

No one could be a better other half to me. I love you, Bart ... you’re the very best there is.

4 comments:

Sarah Beam said...

Happy Anniversary, ya'll!

Note that I consider the occasion of such importance that I even used an exclamation point.

yolie said...

Broken Road is CJ's favorite songe. Chuck bought me the Rascall Flatts CD when CJ was born, and I listened to that song over and over again. Now, whenever CJ is upset we play that song and he calms down. It's also the song I sing to him as I rock him to sleep. He loves it so much he has started to sing along with me. Anytime I start to sing it he immediately starts humming and gets this goofy lovestruck look on his face. Even his Nana (Chuck's mom) has learned the words so she can calm him when he's at her house.

Cindy said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm liking this exclamation mark permission slip today.

Claudia said...

Yolie -- reading the words thinking of you singing it to CJ brought tears to my eyes. The song is perfect for you guys!