Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Forced Gratitude



These are pictures of the girls from the ortho vacation. We really did have a good time.

So even though yesterday Salinda was about as mean as she could be yesterday and I had to put my foot down and make her friends go home earlier than she wanted them to, I went in to face her last night, expecting to have my head bitten off, chewed, and spit out. But I wanted to communicate positive things to her.

I went in and said, "I just wanted to let you know that I had a nice time with you and your friends. I like them and think they are nice girls. I'm proud of you for getting such good grades, and I think you look beautiful with your braces off."

I actually got a half smile -- no teeth, but a smile.

Today, as you know, I told her I wouldn't give her friend a ride, but I did give her a ride soon after... on the way home I explained to her that she needed to start at least saying thank you. I'm going to force her to say it, whether she is grateful or not, or the favors are going to stop.

I sort of get why she is acting the way she is. She is an introvert, and so she needs down time. When she is with her friends it takes LOTS of emotional energy to be perky and fun all the time. So when she is here she has absolutely no desire or energy to be perky and fun with her family, who will love her no matter what.

But it stinks to be around her, that's for sure.

No comments: