Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Heights from Which I Have Fallen

Came home from an awesome meal out with the single dad and his son. I plan to blog about them when I get home and hopefully he'll let me post a picture of them.

The whole meal was wonderful: delicious food, wonderful conversation, and the best feeling ever to see how much these two love each other and the way they have changed each others lives.

Came home to read an email from Bart that Mike was missing again and that Salinda came back from her friends with a filthy mouth and what appears to be the remains of a hickey.

It was a long way to drop... from the bliss of my huge success as a creator of families through adoption to the depressing reality of my failure as a parent.

But as the song says, "I get knocked down, but I get up again....." and I'll be up again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Claudia,
Repeat these phrases over and over until you believe them... (but beware that talking to yourself in the hotel or the airport might cause you to appear crazy to passers by)...

I am more than the behaviors of my children.

The hickey is there because the boyfriend sucks, not me.

~Kari

Kathyb1960 said...

And you are not a failure as a parent.

I think (just IMHO from what I've read so far) that you are a GREAT parent! I remember what I was like at 13, and even tho I wasn't THAT bad, I still gave my mother a pretty hard time sometimes. And I know I could give "the look" and act all put out sometimes when we had to go places I didn't want to go.

I'm pretty sure I missed out on a lot of fun at some of the places we went on vacations b/c I was too hot/too tired/too bored/didn't want to go there.

We went to visit Andrew Jackson's home one time (I think that's the Hermatige?) and I didn't really want to be there, so I missed out on a lot of the history b/c I was ignoring everyone. I regret that now.

So, I think you have done a great job! Being a Teen-ager stinks! And I'm 48 now! LOL