Monday, January 22, 2007

Not Taking the Compassionate Approach

While MIke was waiting to "turn himself in" I could not take the compassionate approach. If I had time, which I certainly do not (kids home from school, work piling up, other responsibilities) I could go through our conversations and explain everything I talked about.

But the bottom line is that I think this is Mike's new, creative way, of running away. He's trying to get himself into Chemical Dependency Treatment. Because he is addicted? I'm not sure. Because he has himself buried in a hole and sees no other options? I think so.

Somehow he has convinced himself that Chemical Dependency Treatment will be better than anything else he's tried. This, unlike Wilderness Detention Programs, Residential Treatment Programs, etc., is going to be the answer. If he can get there, he can run away from the fact that he has no job and just got fired. He can get away from the school he doesn't like and is not currently on target to graduate from. He can get away from House Arrest. He can get away from the over $500 (soon to be $2500, if the home monitoring people are telling the truth since he cut off and lost the anke bracelet) that he owes us. He can get away from whoever he owes money to in the community.

I'm not sure how much anyone will even ask us at this point what we think Mike needs. I will report to them what he told me. I will be truthful. I guess we will see what happens from there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you going to pay for the ankle bracelet? Why not let the court go after him for those costs?

Claudia said...

Oh, we aren't going to AGREE to pay for it. We're going to refuse and tell them to get it from him, but since he is a minor and we have legal responsibility, I'm not sure how far we'll get in refusing.