Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sometimes I handle things better than this...


Mike (having stolen 6 of our family bikes in the last 2 months) was given a ride last night with an agreement he would meet us at church at 6:00 p.m. He never did. Instead he showed up at 11:15 at home.

This morning he took an additional 15 minutes in the shower, throwing off our morning schedule.

At 10 a.m. he called wanting me to drive to his school to pay a $6.00 fee so he could go bowling. I wanted to say know, but I also want to communicate to him that sometimes parents do things they don’t want to do because they love their kids.

But I couldn’t do it graciously.

I told the secretary why I was crabby. I explained a few things as I wrote the check. She concluded, “Well, some kids at some ages ...”

I said, “He has fetal alcohol syndrome. And I DIDN”T DRINK.“

Sometimes it just gets frustrating, you know? I haven’t had more than a few teaspoons full of alcohol in my ENTIRE life and yet I’m raising kids damaged because someone else did. And everyonceandawhile I get mad.

2 comments:

AdoptiveMomma said...

Sure-fire cure for too-long showers: There's probably a shut-off valve on your hot water heater. Turn it off (all at once for revenge, or slowly to simulate decreasing water heater temperature) when the offender starts to overstay his time.

If there's not a shutoff valve there, have one installed.

I have a 12yo (bio) son who can spend 30-40 minutes in the shower and still not use shampoo (and I'm not real sure about the soap).

Kathleen

Connie said...

“He has fetal alcohol syndrome. And I DIDN”T DRINK.“

Oh I have said this sooo many times regarding our not quite 8yo Poster Boy for FAS. Our just turned 7yo is the Poster Girl.

We have adopted 8 in just under 10 years. 3 sets of sibs and a loner, Poster Girl. My dear friend has her older sister. They all came as under 1yo,most as new borns, though our latest toy smasher came at 2yo after being bounced around from one ill suited relative to the next. Now at 3 he has dismantled lots of stuff. Cute little red-headed thing and just as nuts as they come. He ate a Nerf football this afternoon. SIGH But ya know what? I love them. I love what I do. I must be insane.

Thanks for being as crazy as me. I love your blog.